How To Set and STICK To Your New Year Resolutions

"I love beginnings. If I were in charge of calendars, every day would be January 1." ―Jerry Spinelli





Hi hello aloha guys and thank you for coming back to my blog!

To all of you guys, I want to shout at the top of my lungs...


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We made it! The dreadful year called 2020 is over and done and you are still here! 

Now that it's done, we have a new chance to apply everything that we've learned in the previous year. 
Anybody and their grandmas make New Year Resolutions.

If you're like the average person, you have already made your list of new year resolutions, and you have started doing it through the pure grind. 
You wake up, you check off the things you've put on your to-do list as a part of your "new year new me" lifestyle and for the first few days... You feel good.
But that's the thing, it's just for the first few days.
If you're super stubborn, it might last for the whole of January.
But as time goes by, you seem to start to dread your to-do list and you go back to your comfort zone and then feel bad up until it's New Year and you set new goals. 

Well, I got you. 
I do not want to feel like I wasted yet another year simply because I've set my resolutions in a bad way and then executed them in an even worse way. 
So, I made a "game plan" to achieve great results this year. 



1. Don't be afraid to set many goals, just do it organized
I have a total of 3 pages in my planner devoted to many goals and achievements I want to have this year.
At first, it looks and feels terrifying. 
What I did to make it less daunting, and to make it seem a bit more achievable is that I've set the goals into categories. 
First, I did a brain dump. I was like "a'ight, let's see what would make me feel like a queen of the world". Then I parsed through the list, to see what is something that is actually important to me and what is something that would be neat if I have the time. After that, I've divided it all into categories. 
What I came up with is a list of 5 categories with about 5 or 6 goals in each category. 




2. Set S.M.A.R.T. goals
I won't go too much into details here, as I have a whole separate post about it. 
I'll leave a link to it right here
The gist of it is that there are certain criteria that make goals of better quality. 
By setting smart goals, it helps you to actually achieve them. 




3. Habitualize it all
Take a macro goal and turn it into micro habits. 
Here's an example of that:
One of my goals is to do the splits. Okay, that's a macro goal. 
Now, what can I do monthly/weekly/daily to help me achieve that goal? 
Use this technique to habitualize all of your goals and to make it easier to stick to them. 




4. Get accountability partners 
When I have to wake up for work, I have no problems getting up early and showing up to my office and doing the work. 
When it is Sunday, even though I say I would love to wake up early, I usually sleep in for at least an hour. 
See my point? 
Get someone who will help you stay on top of your game. 
It can be someone that you do a weekly check-in on your goals. This is great if you have a goal of writing a book for example. 
Another way to do this is to make joined goals. If you want to run, ask your best friend to do it with you. 
By having someone waiting for you and counting on you to show up, you will feel less inclined to abandon your habits which lead you to goals. 




5. Surround yourself with your goals
Make vision boards with pictures of your goals. 
Get in touch with people who are into language studies/working out/dancing/hiking etc
Watch movies, documentaries and YT videos that inspire you to think about your goals (almost) on a daily basis. 
Write about your goals in your journal and in your planner.
If you are surrounded by your goals, you will feel more motivated to act upon your to-do list!




There you guys have it, my ultimate game plan for sticking to your new year's resolutions!
What are your NY resolutions?
Let me know down below or reach out on my socials!

You can find me here or here!


Thank you for your attention! 

k e e p         g r o w i n g

-omega-


0 Comments